Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background.

I was going through a hormonal change and got really bad acne, and decided to go too a dermatologist. He put me on antibiodics, which I do not believe cleared me up.

The reason I believe I got better is because my body just worked out of it, but I did get left with scarring and hyperpigmentation.

I was wondering where you guys bought your TCA peels and what percentage you would reccomend for me ?

Here are some pics

xxxi88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/bigboi69_2006/CIMG9799.jpgxxx
xxxi88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/bigboi69_2006/CIMG9798.jpgxxx
xxxi88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/bigboi69_2006/CIMG9801.jpgxxx
xxxi88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/bigboi69_2006/CIMG9805.jpgxxx
xxxi88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/bigboi69_2006/CIMG9800.jpgxxx

as you can see I have redness on my chest, dryness and scarring on my back and face, and hyperpigmentation.

Thx for the support

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you don't know what percentage of TCA peels to use, you shouldn't be using them in the first place.

You should start out with something a lot lighter like glycolic acid and work your way up in concentration in that. At that point if you don't see results then you can do more research on TCA's and go from there. TCA is serious stuff.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Meshy--I could not get your photos up but from the sounds of it I would first try and use something like tri-luma which I have used for Melasma and found it VERY effective. You will need a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to prescribe it. It consists of 4% hydroquinone, a skin bleach, .05% tretinoin, known by its brand name retin-a smooths fine lines and helps acne, and finally a topical steroid to calm the skin called fluocinolone acentonide. It is very abrasive and can cause peeling, itching, redness and some burning too. It is really used to treat melasma primarily but can be considered for any hyperpigmentation issues at the discretion of your doctor.

TCA peels are best reserved for people with a lot of experience in using peels and more preferably should be done by a professional. They can scar you and you do not want that. I agree with Freddy that if you wish to go the peeling route you may want to try some lighter glycolics first.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
ummm...you do realize you have to remove all of the xxx's from his links for the pics to work right?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
LOL--no! I am not overly savvy on these things! I just looked though. I think time and a glycolic scrub would do best rather than doing peels on such young and sensitive skin. The skin still looks inflamed and I also do not think you have reached a medical endpoint with the acne. The antibiotics were likely very good but with cystic acne (which it appears you had) the scarring and redness is not uncommon. I would remain on the antibiotics or even ask for differin gel as it is very effective and wait until the actual acne issue is cleared completely and the skin calms down. Trust your doctor though as you may think the doctor caused this but in actuality this is common with acne.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah ill try that. my skin is still really sensitive so a peel was probably not the best. He gave me a topical gel, but I don't use it because it extremely irritates my skin. I figure I still have some more hormones and testosterone ahead lol, so hopefully it doesn't get worse like you think.

what gylcolic scrub should I use? I tried an exfoliating agent and it seemed to upset it more. If I go out in the sun for too long I get burnt really easily, especially where my skin is thin (around nose , etc) so I gotta wear sunscreen.

also I had too do pics like that because it said I couldn't put pics up until I had 15 posts. >.<

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Meshy--what about giving your body a rest and just using a really soothing soap when you wash and then some acne face wash (like Clearasil or something) and using moisturiser? With summer and your age I would just be outdoors and try and get some sun (everyone will jump on that recommendation but at your age and with a bit of acne it is not that bad in my opinion and will clear you up).

Another thing that I would do is go get some Hydrogen Peroxide at your local drugstore and use cotton balls and wipe your acne prone areas twice daily with that. The peroxide is good to neutralise some bacteria that cause the cystic acne.

JUST so you know, you do not look any different to me than any other guy your age. I think for you it looks SOO bad but for others it just looks like puberty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts