Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In what order are Retinoids the least irritating? I have sort of devised my own list, please tell me if this is correct? In order from least irritating to most irritating.

1-Normal Retin-a
2-Tazorac (is it debatable whether this is more irritating than the normal version of retin-a?)
3-Retin-a micro (studies show only a 5% rate of irritation in participants?)

What I need to know is, for example, is Tazorac 0.05% cream less irritating than tretinoin 0.025% cream? And has anyone experienced redness with retin-a micro?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In what order are Retinoids the least irritating? I have sort of devised my own list, please tell me if this is correct? In order from least irritating to most irritating.

1-Normal Retin-a
2-Tazorac (is it debatable whether this is more irritating than the normal version of retin-a?)
3-Retin-a micro (studies show only a 5% rate of irritation in participants?)

What I need to know is, for example, is Tazorac 0.05% cream less irritating than tretinoin 0.025% cream? And has anyone experienced redness with retin-a micro?
What I meant was 'in order from most irritating to least irritating'!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taz may be more irritating to the skin for some than Retin-A.
The liquid Retin-A is the most irritating.
Followed by gel retin-a
Then Cream
Then Micro

Treatment With Topical Retinoids[/url]
Everything I have heard about tazorac is that it is LESS irritating than normal retin-a, especially the gel form. Let's think for a moment, why would they release a newer retinoid that is more irritating than the one they've been using for over 30 years, especially if it is 1-more expensive than retin-a and 2-does not hit as many reinoic receptor sites as retin-a? It seems very counter intuitive really.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I used tazorac .05% cream and it was a lot less irritating than RA .05 cream and def a lot less irritating than .1% gel. When i used the taz i got some peeling but my skin wasnt red, itchy, or anything like that

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
How come Differin isnt on this list. Thats the best synthetic retinoid for skin and produces faster results b/c it takes less time to adjust to the skin. Tazorac is the most irritating b/c its a stronger version of Retin-A man-made in the laboratory. Goatlady used Taz which is excellent for uneven skintone, fine lines or any other flaws.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Note that the source says, "Taz may be more irritating to the skin than Retin-A for some". For me this was true. For you it may not be! Bottom line: you have to experiment to find out what is right for you, not just read about it.

The way I understand it from a dermatologist is, Retin-A hooks up with 3 retinoid receptor sites in the skin, but Taz only hooks up with 2.
Retinoic acid receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes I have experienced redness even with RAM 0.04%. I only use it 2-3 times a week.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How come Differin isnt on this list. Thats the best synthetic retinoid for skin and produces faster results b/c it takes less time to adjust to the skin. Tazorac is the most irritating b/c its a stronger version of Retin-A man-made in the laboratory. Goatlady used Taz which is excellent for uneven skintone, fine lines or any other flaws.
Are there studies that link differin to reducing the effects of photo damage? I was not sure on that basis if I should add it to this list. I didn't know taz was stronger than retin-a only that it is supposedly less irritating. At least according to 98% of accounts I have read. Probably because it connects to less retinoid receptors.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I have used Taz, Differin, RAM, and RA. As far as my skin goes, this is how it went for me.

Least irritating
Differin, Taz

RAM semi irritating
RA cream SUPER irritating

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Yes we are all very different and that is what makes us special in our own way-

some with burnt skin, some without-
j/k j/k

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
taz has the same effectiveness of Retin-A 0.05% on a journal article I read a while back. Differin reverses photo damage and eliminates them, it is worth considering.
I am just wondering if there have been studies showing that differen is as effective as the other Retinoids for reversing photodamage.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts