Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading that white spots on nails is a result of a bad diet. Any info about this? I'm having about 3 white spots on my nails

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought that these white spots on the nails and teeth is due to a lack of calcium and dairy?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dr. Oz (has a new show but always appeared on Oprah) says that these are not indications of a bad diet, they are from using your fingernails as tools. The white spots are from bumping and banging, like a bruise for the nail. The nail normally has to grow out for the spot to go away.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Last time I checked with the doc (about 3 months ago) I did have an Iron deficiency. Right now I'm taking around 20mg of Iron each day, shouldn't that be enough?
Did your doc recommend taking such a huge amount of iron?
Excess iron, especially in men, causes great free radical damage. Do a internet search on this. Nothing to be messing around with.
That's why any decent multi vitamin for men contains no iron.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I never asked him about that. I just registered that my levels were low so I figured that it would be nice to up it.
10 mg for adult men is the recommended dosage. DO NOT up your iron intake past the 10mg unless your doctor prescribes it. And it's also wise to have a retest in a few months to make sure you should be supplementing....you can get iron in your food unless you have a severe deficiency and not eating properly. Too much iron is toxic!!

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Iron

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
10 mg for adult men is the recommended dosage. DO NOT up your iron intake past the 10mg unless your doctor prescribes it. And it's also wise to have a retest in a few months to make sure you should be supplementing....you can get iron in your food unless you have a severe deficiency and not eating properly. Too much iron is toxic!!

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Iron
Where did you read 10 mg is the recommended dosage for men?
Men DO NOT need to supplement with iron unless tests have been performed like you said and a doctor recommends it. This is very common knowledge today. Do some research on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts