Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working out for about 3 weeks now. I generally do 25-30 minutes of cardio, ab exercises and arm exercises with free weights 3-5 times a week. Medically, I'm within a healthy weight range but I want to lose about 10 lbs. It's just not happening. I've only lost about 2 lbs and when I got on the scale today I had even gained a pound back!

Is it harder to lose the weight since I'm within a healthy range? I guess I really only want to tone up but weight loss is a good way to see my progress and encourage me to keep going.

My diet usually consists of:
Breakfast - PBJ sandwich & grapes
Lunch - Spinach salad with edamame, egg, and veggies
Midday snack - yogurt
Dinner - least healthy meal of the day - usually whatever I can find - sometimes an omelet and toast or pizza that the roommates ordered.

Can anyone (that has a outside standpoint) suggest anything I'm doing wrong or any ways to increase weight loss?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That last meal of the day is screwing up your entire day's worth of meals. Trust me, every meal makes a difference.

Cut the peanut butter and jam sandwich in the morning, that's for kids that are in grade 1 and eat four egg whites and 1 whole egg in the morning.

Have chicken breast and a half cup of broccoli for dinner and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese before bed and then see how much better your weight loss is.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been working out for about 3 weeks now. I generally do 25-30 minutes of cardio, ab exercises and arm exercises with free weights 3-5 times a week. Medically, I'm within a healthy weight range but I want to lose about 10 lbs. It's just not happening. I've only lost about 2 lbs and when I got on the scale today I had even gained a pound back!

Is it harder to lose the weight since I'm within a healthy range? I guess I really only want to tone up but weight loss is a good way to see my progress and encourage me to keep going.

My diet usually consists of:
Breakfast - PBJ sandwich & grapes
Lunch - Spinach salad with edamame, egg, and veggies
Midday snack - yogurt
Dinner - least healthy meal of the day - usually whatever I can find - sometimes an omelet and toast or pizza that the roommates ordered.

Can anyone (that has a outside standpoint) suggest anything I'm doing wrong or any ways to increase weight loss?
Hi Vananners,

I think what is setting you back is your evening/dinner meal.
And I find that when I eat the same kind of foods I plateau and need to change things around. For instance,
Breakfast for me is
1 slice of whole grain bread with 2 tbsp peanut butter or almond butter and 3/4 cups strawberries
or
3/4 c of high fiber breakfast with 1 c of fat free milk and a small banana or half of reg banana
or
8 oz of low fat greek yogurt with 1/2 c raspberries/blueberries ...half banana ..which ever fruit is in season works
Lunch
Salad 2 c of mixed greens and I add tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas & kidney beans (1/3 c), edamame, a few walnuts or slivered almonds with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and balasamic vinegar. I have a piece of fruit and water (I don't do soda at all) with a slice of lemon/lime
or
White turkey sandwich ( 2 slices of multi-grain breads only...I don't do white) spinach leaves, a slice or two of tomato with mustard. A piece of fruit with iced unsweetned tea
or
3 egg-white omelet. I add spinach, diced red peppers, mushrooms, low fat cheese (1 slice). A small whole-wheat pita bread. A piece of fruit
Dinner

It's either grilled salmon grilled veggies or/and small sweet potato and a glass of red wine (of course need to get in my wine!!) or
or
grilled tuna about 5 oz with 1/2 c of whole wheat pasta tossed with 1/2 broccoli and garlic sauteed in olive oil. a small spinach salad with about 1 tbsp of dried cranberries, walnuts (a handful) with olive oil (1 tbsp) and vinegar, a piece of fruit and a glass of red wine...
or
Veggie burger on a whole wheat 100 calorie bread/bun, 1/3 cup brown rice, small salad with 1/3 cup kidney beans, 1 cup of veggies and a small salad....and of course a glass of red wine.
I also add two small snacks a day...IF I'm hungry.

I find I have to change things around a bit in order for me to loose weight. However, I am not so strict on the weekends...but during the week I pretty much stay on measuring. It's all about the portions and journaling...what goes in my mouth goes on my journal

I lost 36 pounds a few years ago and I am in maintenance mode right now. I weigh myself everyday to see if I need to adjust anything..

Another reason you're not losing weight could be that you're at the right weight.

HTH

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Freddy. I always love how blunt your response are. Lol. You get your point across and I admire that.

And thanks Toni for spending the time to let me know your daily meals. I will print this off and try to steal some of your ideas. I'm not very creative when it comes to meal planning so this should help me too.

Another thing I need to do is get out of bed earlier so that I can eat breakfast at home before I leave for work. I tend to always be running late in the morning so that's why I do the PBJ (and I love them!).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks too all, I am having the same problem , and yes Freddy its the meal at the end of the day.
I must be more strict. No pain no gain.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hmm miso soup, sounds good!! I will try that one too.
Found a picture of Freddy moonlighting

·
Registered
419 Posts
LOL Ur too funny Lydia..
Love the picture!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Toni, I love your avatar! He looks like my dog when he was a baby!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Omg Lydia your pics crack me up!

It's good to know someone else is having the same issue as me!! Let me know your progress and if you find anything that works!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Try going to bed hungry. You will feel so righteous and you'll be hungry for breakfast! A little miso soup before bed if you are TOO hungry.
I usually agree with Fawnie on many things, however I would follow a different protocol if I were to cut right now.

I wouldn't take a protein shake in the morning. The reason for this is that a protein shake doesn't have any carbs in it (unless it's a mass shake), and the morning is the most important time to have carbs. The highest carb intake should be in the morning because it will fuel your metabolism and give you energy during the day. Contrary to popular believe, protein doesn't provide you with quick release energy store, it's the carbs that do that. If you just take a shake, you're missing that opportunity and you'll have a crappy day.

Ah NEVER EVER EVER go to be hungry. I always go to bed with a full stomach. If you go to bed hungry several things happen, you enter a catabolic state at which time the fat retaining hormone cortisol is released making you retain fat, you start consuming muscle for energy, and your body goes into mini-famine mode and your metabolism slows down making any natural fat burning ability slow or completely hindered.

Earlier on I told you to take Cottage Cheese, the reason for this is that you're feeding your body cassein protein, which is a slow digesting protein that will feed your body for 6 to 8 hours and give you the nutrition needed to avoid entering the catabolic state and retain fat.

·
Registered
529 Posts
eat less move more!, no really i dont know what im talking bout

but u dont seem like u need to loose weight anyways..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Freddy. What would I do without your advice?! Lol. I will go get some cottage cheese and some other healthy foods to keep stocked up. I find that the times that I eat unhealthy are the times that I don't have food at home and haven't planned for a meal so I grab whatever I can find. Btw...I have been alternating interval training with regular cardio on alternate nights and I'm loving the interval training. I feel that I really get a good workout with it, especially in my legs. I think I need to kick my cardio up a notch because I realized last night that I don't get sore anymore from my workouts and I feel like part of getting toned is pretty much being sore at all times.

Thanks, Kamakaze!!
I don't really need to lose weight I just want to get toned up quite a bit and losing weight is all part of that journey! I sort of hope to get to a point of having an 'athletic body' but still have that softness that makes us women sexy! I'm a white girl with a booty like Beyonce and I don't want it getting outta control! lol

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You shouldn't be getting sore from cardio or using cardio to make up for crappy weight lifting workouts.

What you need to do is completely change your routine every four weeks or so. Another problem is that women are terrified of moving up on weights.

I see countless women doing bicep curls with 3 lbs. when they can clearly do up to 15 lbs. without much problems.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
After a short while, you should not really be getting sore from cardio.
A protein shake can work in the morning. Just pair it with some carb food. I believe Fawnies does have a decent amount of carbs. Too $$$ for my blood.
I actually drink a protein shake in the morning and hardly any carbs. I dont do this on purpose, it's just I'm pressed for time. Energy through the roof all day. Of course my next snack is around 2 hours later.
Another option to changing your routine frequently is to change the rep speed, number of reps, number of sets, etc. You can milk a routine for quite a while doing this.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
"Milking" routines doesn't work because you're still using the same muscle groups and not focusing on other parts of the body.

I don't care how much you think a routine is "full-body", it never really is and you can always change routines to focus on other muscle groups. Changing the rep amounts or speeds works muscles differently than changing routines entirely.

For example, if Vananners' routine calls for higher reps and lower weight because she wants to lose weight, it wouldn't be ideal for her to "milk" her routine and go high weight and low reps.

Changing rep scheme or speed also has its function. It's not ideal for every situation and many of the times individuals just change it for the sake of changing it without looking at the physiological reason why it would or not be good to do so.

As with the protein, there are protein shakes out there that are much better than the Vegan one, specially for the price. A visit to any GNC or Nutrition House will yield numerous amounts of proteins that are better suited for the job (or more accurately that have higher quality protein and better macronutrient ratios).

Once again, protein shakes aren't used as energy providing tools, it's the carbs that does the job.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
"Milking" routines doesn't work because you're still using the same muscle groups and not focusing on other parts of the body.

I don't care how much you think a routine is "full-body", it never really is and you can always change routines to focus on other muscle groups. Changing the rep amounts or speeds works muscles differently than changing routines entirely.

For example, if Vananners' routine calls for higher reps and lower weight because she wants to lose weight, it wouldn't be ideal for her to "milk" her routine and go high weight and low reps.

Changing rep scheme or speed also has its function. It's not ideal for every situation and many of the times individuals just change it for the sake of changing it without looking at the physiological reason why it would or not be good to do so.

As with the protein, there are protein shakes out there that are much better than the Vegan one, specially for the price. A visit to any GNC or Nutrition House will yield numerous amounts of proteins that are better suited for the job (or more accurately that have higher quality protein and better macronutrient ratios).

Once again, protein shakes aren't used as energy providing tools, it's the carbs that does the job.
Milking routines has worked for me many many times for many years.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts