Skin Care Talk banner

Why do I get tanned even though I use SPF 50?

32K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Why do I get a tan even though I am using SPF 50 sunscreen? Does this mean the sunscreen isn't protecting my skin? Or is it normal to get tanned when exposed to the sun even with high-quality sunscreen?

I use the following sunscreen that contains 9% Zinc Oxide:
Image Daily Ultimate Protection Moisturizer SPF 50

Ingredients Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%; Inactive Ingredients: Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Plankton Extract, Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture, Arabidopsis Thaliana, Micrococcus Lysate, Erythritol Homarine HCI, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ergothioneine, PEG-8 SMDI Copolymer, Cetyl Dimethicone, Polyacrylate 13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Capryl Glucoside, Xanthan Gum, Panthenol, Polyglyceryl-3, Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Triethoxysilyl Ethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/image-skincare/Prevention-/_/Prevention-Daily-Ultimate-Protection-Moisturizer-SPF-50

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you. Any recommendations on sunscreens?

I don't mind getting tanned, the most important thing is not getting skin damage, and wrinkles. Would a 9% sunscreen protect against wrinkles? Or do you have to get a high SPF to protect against wrinkles and sun damage?

#4 ·
Thank you. Any recommendations on sunscreens? I don't mind getting tanned, the most important thing is not getting skin damage, and wrinkles. Would a 9% sunscreen protect against wrinkles? Or do you have to get a high SPF to protect against wrinkles and sun damage?
Use a SS with at least 15% zinc, higher than this is always better. If you are getting tanned, your getting wrinkles with the tan as well. Thats never a good thing. You want to avoid getting any color. The sun is what ages your skin the most. My favorites- Burnout Face/Body - for your face Burnout Eco- for your body or Purple Prairie Loads of recommendations/reviews on these threads as well, http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/21766/the-best-sunscreen-sunblock-debate http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/22647/zinc-oxide-physical-sunscreen-list/2800#post_924754

#7 ·
hi Gymrat,
this is a boring question, but do you always apply recommended amount (1/4tsp for face, etc) everyday?
Even though it is raining?

There are times I feel lazy to apply full amount. my bad.

Does applying less make us tan too? Even though the % of zinc is 19% (eg burnout ss)

thank you!

#8 ·
Not a boring question at all, that's a great question....

it it depends on the rain if it's a warm rain the sun still shining then I apply, if it's a cold rain dark and gloomy....heck no!! When it's dark clouds and raining I take advantage of those days and give my skin a break....only thing is, we rarely have days like so I can only dream about that happening here!!

As for % of zinc anything 8-10% in cooler climate will work decent, but if you are in a warmer climate the higher the zinc content the better protection you will have and less chance to tan.

#9 ·
What Zinc based sunscreen would you guys consider to be the most effective?

I've been using mineral based sunscreen powders for months. I don't even know how effective it is, however, I don't like it oxidising effects which end up making my face look like a wax doll when I set. Not a nice look ;)
We have several great sunscreen threads that are loaded with zinc based sunscreen reviews, etc.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthread.php/19946-THE-Best-Sunscreen-Sunblock-Debate
http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthread.php/20773-Zinc-Oxide-Physical-Sunscreen-List

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Gymrat.......its me again. Hope I'm not looking like a stalker, I'm just always happy to read your responses on threads. I totally could have written the post above because I've been using Paulas choice sunscreens as they're lighter in texture and dry matte on me but I always tanned and now have terrible sun damage I'm trying to undo. I just ordered Burnout last week and will be ordering Bioderma too so I'm switching. I'm so over her sunscreens ( looking at the 4 tubes in my bathroom cabinet).
I also have a problem with my 6 year old. She's gotten a lot darker since starting kindergarten last year. We also live in NorCal and her face, neck and arms are really darker than her chest and legs. Her school has 3 recesses and once I applied sunscreen on her to school but it got into her eyes during play so I stopped. She has a dark patch across her forehead that looks like a charcoal mask waiting to be peeled. I figured I can only monitor her sunscreen use during the summer.
What can you suggest to get rid of the discolorations on her body and possibly prevent further darkening? Any ideas on applying sunscreen on her to school?

Thanks a million.......again.

#14 ·
@Tudbee, no worries I don't think your a stalker at all!!

For your daughter try using Burnout Kids SS. Zinc based sunscreens will not burn or bother her eyes. Those SS that do that are chemical based :tear:. Good for you for at least taking the time to apply SS on her, most parents wouldn't bother!! Your a good mama!!

Yes, toss Paulas SS, Burnout and Bioderma you will much happier with. Have you considered doing a series of chemical peels to help with the sun damage you have gotten?? Obviously not something you can do on your daughter but for yourself its something to consider.

#15 ·
@ gymrat, thanks for the quick response. I did a lactic 44% peel 2 sundays ago thinking I could start with that towards reversing the summer damage but it left me with 2 dark patches on my forehead and cheek that I'm guessing are PIH.
I have always done a lactic peel using same strength, its lactic acid 88% I made a peel from using the old formula from here. 5 part LA + 5 part water = 44%. Left on for 5 minutes. I don't know what went wrong but I got discouraged afterwards.

I once got the same patch with TCA last year but have since stopped tca. I'm African American but have always had good results with lactic peels but not so much now. Honestly I don't know what else to try.

#16 ·
Tudbee, try doing a series of lactic peels, you can use it once/twice a week for 6-8 weeks. Being consistent with it, you will find you have much better results. Also be sure you are making a fresh peel each time, and always use distilled water. Now with it being a bit cooler in CA, nows the time to do peels!! Lay low from TCA they may not be for you. But thats ok there are plenty of others.

Hope this helps, if you do try a series of peels, keep me posted on the outcome :thumbsup:

#19 ·
I found this at wal mart. I went to whole foods and no devita and idt traders had it either.

I am desperate I live in TX and the sun beats down. So this is the only sunblock I found today with zinc. I see you al recommend 15% or higher but is this ok? Or where else can I find devita besides online. I need to start protecting my skin now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks I will try that locator. I actually really hate the sunblock. It leaves the white cast you all spoke off and makes my skin look dull and ashy. Can't have that not even for sun protection so I may take it back or find another use for it, but in the mean time if I don't have any in my area what is another natural sunblock that doesn't leave the caste that is sold in stores.

Eta- hmm hard to see but I knew there had to be some here locally. But the map doesn't give me an address or store just a red flag. Or should I try viewing on a computer to get better information. Wherever it's located looks like it's right by my house. Unless this is too good to be true.

#33 ·
Yes it says May 2016. And its unopened. So does that change its efficacy? @gymrat.
I would use it if it were in my cabinet :yes:. If its not yellow and still comes out of the tube white I would use it. I don't toss my products when they have expired, expiration dates are mainly for shelving purposes, similar to groceries. Basically, use your own discretion. If it looks bad and smells bad, toss it. Just like you would milk :thumbsup:

#36 ·
@gymrat, Please help, i'm already getting bra lines on my shoulders and a tanned v- neck. I use Burnout Eco and I try to apply religiously (I think) though not measuring by teaspoons. I try to avoid the sun during 10 -2pm but its hard to stay indoors with kids and the California sun isn't playing. What other measures can one take? I wear hats and long sleeves. I spent a lot of time, efforts and money trying to undo last summer's sun damage and don't want to go through that again. I swear I have a season pass to swim but not using it.
Any suggestions for neck and chest protection? Any advice is welcome please.

#37 ·
@gymrat, Please help, i'm already getting bra lines on my shoulders and a tanned v- neck. I use Burnout Eco and I try to apply religiously (I think) though not measuring by teaspoons. I try to avoid the sun during 10 -2pm but its hard to stay indoors with kids and the California sun isn't playing. What other measures can one take? I wear hats and long sleeves. I spent a lot of time, efforts and money trying to undo last summer's sun damage and don't want to go through that again. I swear I have a season pass to swim but not using it.
Any suggestions for neck and chest protection? Any advice is welcome please.
Run for shade, avoid being in the sun during 10-4 and if you must be out then re apply your sunscreen especially if swimming and or sweating. Other than that, not much you can do.

I wear Burnout and Purple Prairie and don't have tan lines yet........but I am also very sun savvy and don't hang out in it. Summer hasn't even started in Cali yet, wait til July and August :sunshine:

#41 ·
I haven't gotten Devita yet I was trying to use up what I had but the sunblock is breaking me out causing some bumps on my arm a few on my neck and it makes me sweat so bad and after being outside when I get in I need a shower I feel so dirty and clogged up. It also has broken out my face. I think the sunblock trapping in he stand dirt gave me this heat rash deal on my face it looks ugly.

Do you all find the devita to be a lighter sunblock. What about for face? If I can't use zinc oxide without breaking out what do I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.