Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Arbutin
Arbutin, which is the b-D-glucopyranoside derivative of hydroquinone, is a naturally occurring plant derived compound that has been used for postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.[13] It is effective in the treatment of disorders of hyperpigmentation characterized by hyperactive melanocytes.[13] The action of arbutin is dependent on its concentration. Higher concentrations are more efficacious than lower concentrations, but they may also result in a paradoxical hyperpigmentation.[13] In comparative in vitro studies of various compounds used to improve the appearance of disorders of hyperpigmentation, arbutin was found to be less toxic than hydroquinone. A dose-dependent reduction in tyrosinase activity, as well as melanin content in melanocytes, was also demonstrated

above what % arbutin would hyperpigmentation or paradox darkening be a risk??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good question, I was wondering about arbutin myself...is it really as effective as the claims make it out to be???
I think sepiwhite would be a good alternative..any thoughts???

G

·
Registered
395 Posts

Arbutin
Arbutin, which is the b-D-glucopyranoside derivative of hydroquinone, is a naturally occurring plant derived compound that has been used for postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.[13] It is effective in the treatment of disorders of hyperpigmentation characterized by hyperactive melanocytes.[13] The action of arbutin is dependent on its concentration. Higher concentrations are more efficacious than lower concentrations, but they may also result in a paradoxical hyperpigmentation.[13] In comparative in vitro studies of various compounds used to improve the appearance of disorders of hyperpigmentation, arbutin was found to be less toxic than hydroquinone. A dose-dependent reduction in tyrosinase activity, as well as melanin content in melanocytes, was also demonstrated

above what % arbutin would hyperpigmentation or paradox darkening be a risk??
I use arb at 10% but this is beta, so isnt as 'pure' as alpha. It works, but I use the same precautions as I do with HQ (using sunblock etc) Shame we cant get hold of the deoxy easily. Does anyone know if sepiwhite is patented?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts