Skin Care Talk banner

Will Honey improve complexion?

22K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  fawnie 
#1 ·
Hi

I am new here.

I've heard honey, if applied on face (and washed away after 10 minutes) will make the skin glow, and improve complexion. Is this correct? I tried it today, but nothing has happened. Does it mean it will take weeks before we can see changes? Will it make the hair turn white
as some people allege?

I'd appreciate some idea on this.

TIA,
A

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never tried it. But it seems to me like it would just clog your pores and cause breakouts. Let us know if you see any improvement.

#3 ·
Honey is supposed to be antibacterial and hydrating for the skin, Manuka honey is the best although is quite expensive I think. I have not tried this because I would probably end up eating the honey but lots of people use honey as a mask sometimes mixed with other things.

#11 ·
hi adamantine^^,
I used to apply honey pack on my face but just like you I did not get my desired glow that quick!So I did stop.That is why I still not know its effectiveness.What I can advice to you is to continue applying honey for at least a week or two(if you really want to prove its effectiveness-after all nothing is wrong in trying it, honey is a natural option).I also read that honey expels harsh elements in pores and promotes healing process.It also helps in rejuvenating the skin that leads to eliminating fine wrinkles.

Regarding with honey and hair?I do not think so..it will only make your hair sticky

Why not try mayonnaise instead?

#12 ·
Oh yes! I use manuka honey as a mask by itself and it does give a glow!
They make a separate Acne Cream that you can read about but really, the manuka honey alone will do as well. This type honey is made from the tea tree flowers in New Zealand.
Manuka Honey Acne Cream

I put a tsp on my damp face after washing and relax in a bath for 20 min. Then gently rinse off. I don't care if some honey stays on my skin - it helps to tighten and give it the glow!

It's good for all types of skin.

#13 ·
I have oily skin as well, and make a cleanser with honey that I love, love, love. It is equal parts honey and french green clay. For every tsp of honey, add 1 drop each of geranium, lavender, and tea tree essential oils.

When I first started, I used it morning and night- but, now it is controlling the oiliness so well that I only use it once daily, alternating with a simple, gentle cleanser. Sometimes I leave it on for a minute or so, before washing it off in the shower. I can't recommend it enough. (only for oily skin, though) -might be a good mask for other skin types.

I use raw, unfiltered honey and the best quality "therapeutic grade" essential oils that I can pretend to afford... I think it's important- especially with the honey

#26 ·
Where do you get this french green clay? I would love to try this mask!

I am definitely a proponent of using honey in skin care. Not only is it antibacterial, and a great moisturizer (as has already been mentioned); but sugar is, technically, an acid medium. So, as strange as it would seem, honey makes for a great mild exfoliant for people whose sensitive skin are easily irritated by scrubs or chemical peels.

Even more than that, it is a great source of antioxidants and minerals.

#19 ·
Oh darn guess I'll just have to eat it then.

I was using it for my lip issue I mentioned which is now cleared up. I assume it helped but I was using a couple other things as well. One being the centella asiatica.
If that was what worked, it is a miracle product because I healed practically overnight.

#21 ·
Mireckca,

I had no idea about the number stuff either. -glad I asked! I'll check out Vitacost

Thanks, you guys... I was trying to give my mother the full picture here- "they're like the Olympians of skincare!" no fooling around.

---Peri, you would think that Hi-active 15+, would be highly-active , no?

#24 ·
One more thing, Mireckca. It appears that, as of last week- I am eligible to be a Canadian citizen... I'll give you a head start incase you want to relocate!
Congratulations. Dual citizenship is very common here in Canada; it seems like many people I have met in Toronto are both citizens of Canada and of their native lands. It is a comfortable and welcoming place for all peoples.

#27 ·
Hi Bee,

Sorry I didn't notice your post sooner...

Cosmetic, Facial and Spa Quality Clays

This website has a number of different clays. I will definitely experiment with some different ones in the future- (like the Fuller's Earth for oil control and lightening).

The French Green works beautifully, though. You could probably find it at Wholefoods.

I agree with you- honey and clay are two of the most healing ingredients for skin care. I use this combination as a cleanser, mixing it with a little water each time to smooth it on the face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.