Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Retin a for 7 monts now face+neck and now body. I can use it 3 nights straight before it starts to peel then i take 1 night break and use it the next night for 2-3 night again, i still can't use it everynight, i'm scared of overexfoliating my skin. In total i use retin a gel 0.1% 5x/week.
When does the 'mico'-peeling stop?
Will i ever be able to use it everynight on my skin? Or is it too much?
When are the results of retin a @ their max? after 6 months or 12 months?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Why do you need to use it every night? Your facial skin is too thin to need that much exfoliation, and your cell turnover rate isn't fast enough to utilize that much Tretinoin.

You should really dial back to 0.05% (at least) for your face if you are not treating mature skin.

For your body, you should take more days off (3-4 days a week) so that you don't ingest too much of this drug.

Excessive peeling w/ Retin A is not a fast track for exfoliation; it's typically a sign that you're using too much.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^Thanks MP but RA cream 0.05% was really weak, i was on glycolic acid peel and creams (20%) for 12 months before jumping on Retin a bandwagon...what do you suggest for my face is 5X/night too much? How much then?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Retin-A at lower concentrations is not weak, it is scientifically proven to be a highly effective medication and all strengths are prescription not over-the-counter for good reason. The correct dose and frequency for a given individual is the one that minimises side effects more than the one that maximises beneficial effects. The issues you report suggest significant underlying irritation and inflammation which could easily be working against your goals. Seven months is not long enough to see many of the beneficial effects so it makes no sense to state that the lower percentage was too weak. If you are not convinced you might be best discussing this with your dermatologist.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to ya'll i've reduced the frequency of use for retin a gel 0.1% and it's good, 3x/week
Since i use my vitamin C serum everyday even on retin-a nights off , my skin is good and i'm sure i will look 30 when i'm 55 with this regimen.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Great news, Divine Brown!

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
You still get the same benefits from 0.05% without much peeling. You can stop the peeling by applying moisturizer first then retin a after. That works almost every time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts