Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a very high SPF sunblock prevent tanning and darkening of the skin? I have seen some SPF 80 sunblocks. I want to get something that will give me complete protection.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Even if the SPF is really high on a sunblock, it most likely will not have a full protection from both UVA and UVB rays. There are new chemicals in development that are supposed to provide better protection against both, however I dont think there is any perfect sunblock just yet. The only ones that would really provide almost 100% coverage would be the ones that are white in color and do not absorb clear.

·
Registered
582 Posts
darn. and i've only been using spf50 to protect my skin. sometimes when i feel like it. i thought that alone was enough. guess i'll just have to wear a large hat and some clothing to cover! lol!

·
Registered
280 Posts
what does spf 80 look and feel like on the body. i was want to so skin lightening and i want to use something the rubs in clear and doest aggrevate my acne.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had no luck finding any sunblock more than 45 that is light and not greasy. SPF 80 must feel like putting on bacon grease

·
Registered
23 Posts
No amount of sunblock will prevent tanning. Even SPF 100000 cant protect against all the UV rays unless it is opaque. Meaning if the cream stays on your skin and is white solid color. If the sunblock dries clear, it will not provide 100% protection.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
daiyumi69, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be all in your business...but you're mixed. Why do you worry about skin whitening? I'm sure that your skin is at least caramel, which is a lovely color.

·
Registered
582 Posts
daiyumi69, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be all in your business...but you're mixed. Why do you worry about skin whitening? I'm sure that your skin is at least caramel, which is a lovely color.
gasp!
! My skin ranges from yellow, to beige, to tan, to honey. it all depends.

I'm not exactly sure how to put this. I look weird if my skin looks too dark. Have you ever seen ***no offense*** a white person that gets a bronze or literally brown tan and looks funny? That's how I look when I go out in the sun. It looks like I put on makeup to make my skin darker but its not makeup.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Where did you hear about spf 80 sunblock. I would be interestd in trying it.

I have been using Anthelios. I order it from outside the country and it has an spf of 60 and gives protection against UVA and UVB rays.

As far as sunscreens being white or if the dissolve they provide less protection - I am not sure.

·
Registered
356 Posts
As far as I have been able to research I have found that there are two types of sunscreen: physical and chemical. The kind I use anthelios is chemical.

Chemical vs. Physical Sunscreens

Chemical Sunscreens are synthetic chemical substances with the following properties:

they are powerful absorbers of UV radiation
when they absorb radiation they remain relatively
These sun filters are formulated with other compounds in order to obtain highly effective products with protection factors varying from 4 to 30. Importantly, they often have to be reapplied quite frequently.
For many people, however, the advantages of chemical sunscreens outweigh the disadvantages. With all products it is advisable to read the label, to check that the product blocks both UVB and UVA radiation.
\tpreparations that can be used by small children. All should be reapplied after sweating or swimming, even if the product claims to be waterproof and rub-proof, or to offer 'all-day protection'. Ideally, whichever sunscreen you choose, make sure that it blocks both UVB and UVA and has a sun protection factor (SPF) rating of at least 15.

Slip, slap, slop

In Australia the Government and doctors led a public information program to reduce the effects of sun damage. They used the slogan 'Slip, slap, slop':

Slip on a tee-shirt, slap on a hat and slop on some sun cream.

Physical sunscreens contain inert mineral particles that reflect UV rays like a mirror. The most common type used is ultrafine titanium dioxide (TiO?), made up of minute particles only 20-30 mm? in size.

These products have advantages over chemical sunscreens in that they are inert substances that do not break down over time. They are far less liable to cause skin irritation, since they are in the form of insoluble particles that are not absorbed through the skin. Because of the small size of the particles, modern physical sunscreens reflect radiation in the UVB and short UVA regions better than earlier products did. Also, whereas their predecessors left a slight residue on the skin that looked like a trace of make-up base, which some people found unattractive, today's products have better transparency and avoid this problem.

There are formulations for use on the face and lips, and special preparations that can be used by small children. All should be reapplied after sweating or swimming, even if the product claims to be waterproof and rub-proof, or to offer 'all-day protection'. Ideally, whichever sunscreen you choose, make sure that it blocks both UVB and UVA and has a sun protection factor (SPF) rating of at least 15.

http://www.pg.com/science/skincare/S...DY0RCVQFIAJ1S0

·
Registered
360 Posts
the only way to get the best protection (not counting staying inside with absolutely no windows, or completely covering yourself with layers of clothing and hats and gloves) is to reapply your sunscreen, reapply, reapply, reapply! and make sure like the others said it has uva and uvb protection. and yeah, the spf does not really matter since you have to reapply every hour no matter what the spf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts