Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum and am amazed at the amount of information on here!

I have a few questions for people who are experienced so I know what Im doing:

Does skin lightening really work? As in permanently?

Is it safe to mix creams and lotions to create a cocktail that will eventually lighten?

What peels are recommended for lightening?

Where is the cheapest and best place to get Retin A and HQ?

I have tan skin and would like to go lighter but my problem is my body. I have dark elbows, knees and feet. My stomach, back, chest, legs are all a fine color but these areas - including my face - are darker. These will also require larger amounts of product to lighten, which brings me back to my initial concern: $$

Anyone that can help shed some light?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Hey Bella, welcome to the forum.
1. yes, skin lightening really does work if you are consistent and meticulous with your regimen.
2. yes it is safe to mix creams to create a cocktail that will lighten but you dont have to, all youll have to do is mix the Hydroquinone and Retin-A to achieve your complexion.
3. Lactic Peels and Glycolic Peels are recommended for lightening but for those stubborn areas like the elbows, knees, and what have you - TCA 12 to 18% peels are recommended.
4. The cheapest places to get Retin-A and HQ are [email protected] - they charge $15 for one tube of each RA/HQ. Another cheap source is Alldaychemist.com which a lot of people here use, including myself because the tubes of Retin-A in different strengths cost somewhere from $2-$3 and HQ 4% cost $1.42. The shipping is high since its coming from India but if you purchase in bulk then that offsets it.

Follow this regimen if you want lighter skin.
Morning:
1. Apply HQ 4% then wait 5 mins hten apply a good SUNBLOCK of spf 30+
Night:
1. Appy HQ/RA together.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bella, welcome to the forum.
1. yes, skin lightening really does work if you are consistent and meticulous with your regimen.
2. yes it is safe to mix creams to create a cocktail that will lighten but you dont have to, all youll have to do is mix the Hydroquinone and Retin-A to achieve your complexion.
3. Lactic Peels and Glycolic Peels are recommended for lightening but for those stubborn areas like the elbows, knees, and what have you - TCA 12 to 18% peels are recommended.
4. The cheapest places to get Retin-A and HQ are [email protected] - they charge $15 for one tube of each RA/HQ. Another cheap source is Alldaychemist.com which a lot of people here use, including myself because the tubes of Retin-A in different strengths cost somewhere from $2-$3 and HQ 4% cost $1.42. The shipping is high since its coming from India but if you purchase in bulk then that offsets it.

Follow this regimen if you want lighter skin.
Morning:
1. Apply HQ 4% then wait 5 mins hten apply a good SUNBLOCK of spf 30+
Night:
1. Appy HQ/RA together.
LNL, that website is awesome! Thank you so much!

I currently use Retin A Micro .1% occasionally when I have a pimple or two. I never thought it was a lightening product but I guess when combined with HQ it would probably work best.

What is the highest strength you can get HQ or Retin A in?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
HQ highest strength is 4% and highest strength RA is 0.1%, yes Retin-A I used for acne too when I was little but I kept using it all these years and its the best thing the dermatologists ever came up with, it peels and gets rid of your old "dark" skin and helps the HQ to lighten and go deeper into the skin for lasting results. If you use Retin-A consistently for years and years you wont have wrinkles and discolorations.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi Bella & welcome to the forum! I see you've met LNL. His advice, as it usually is, is spot on. As for the RA, going for the highest strength is not necessarily the wisest approach. It is VERY strong stuff. Try buying a tube of the weakest strength to begin with (0.025%) then, as you build tolerance, move up to 0.05%. Many people do not need to go any higher than this but 0.1% is great IF you can tolerate it. Expect to shed dead skin cells like a dog sheds hair in spring. This 'purging' stage is the initial phase where your body 'dumps' a formidable build-up of old skin. This is unpleasant & frustrating BUT worth going through. Getting rid of the dead skin will allow yr HQ to absorb unobstructed. Rummage around this site & read all about good sunblocks: you're going to need one. I hope you become a frequest poster & please share any info re yr process & yr results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Ondine!

I have been using Retin A for a year now, on and off though. The acne has been gone and I couldnt be happier with my new skin, save for a few marks here and there. The surface is smooth but there are some pores that look large to me on my cheeks.

Are peels a better approach to lightening or the HQ/RA regime? How do you alternate and how often?

Do any of these chemicals or products affect the chances of a pregnancy happening or even a current pregnancy?

The Retin A has been working for me at .1% really well so I might stick to that but add in the HQ. I just ordered from Alldaychemist dot com - thank you LNL!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Peels are not necessarily a better approach to lightening because all its doing is exfoliating not lightening or inhibiting tyrosinase - which is responsible for skin color. With the peels, your skin will be even and smooth and you wont have any more marks. You can use the peels in between months of using the HQ/RA and the peel I recommend is Lactic Acid anywhere from 40 to 85% b/c it is the only peel that is known to moisturize and LIGHTEN the skin and there is no down time thats why you can use it safety without having to take a break from your lightening regimen of HQ/RA. You are right about the RA, I used it for acne too and the first few months were a ***** then my oily skin was gone,, acne was gone and skin got smooth.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
RA is OUT if you are pregnant or nursing. As for peels & lightening, LNL is correct: they do not inhibit tyrosine. I've tried TCA peels at 12.5% & 18% as well as glycolic at 50%. The TCA has a significant down time & the glycolic seems to have really dried my slin but since it was only last Thurs that I did it, I am not through the process yet & cannot ptonounce re final results. I will be trying the lactic though since it apparently leaves the skin well moisturized.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Peels are not necessarily a better approach to lightening because all its doing is exfoliating not lightening or inhibiting tyrosinase - which is responsible for skin color. With the peels, your skin will be even and smooth and you wont have any more marks. You can use the peels in between months of using the HQ/RA and the peel I recommend is Lactic Acid anywhere from 40 to 85% b/c it is the only peel that is known to moisturize and LIGHTEN the skin and there is no down time thats why you can use it safety without having to take a break from your lightening regimen of HQ/RA. You are right about the RA, I used it for acne too and the first few months were a ***** then my oily skin was gone,, acne was gone and skin got smooth.
LNL

A vendor from whom I recently purchased a bottle of neutralizer sent a sample of combined glycolic acid/lactic acid peel 35% which contains 20% GA and 15% LA. Surprisingly I received the same results as the LA alone, with no down time. I have burned the heck out of my skin before with the GA alone. I am still fond of an occasional Salicylic Acid peel left on for a very short time.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I tried a Jessner's Peel before which is Lactic, Salicylic, and Resorcinol that really helped, have u tried that? I am going to be trying the 85% Lactic Acid in a week before the charity benefit event, do you think the 85% will have downtime? or will it give me the glowing facial look?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Odine and LNL!

If I buy the peels from BeautySceintific dot com, do I need to buy a separate neutralizer? I only see the bottle of the peel itself...what else do I need to do a peel at home?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do this right!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
4 or 5, keep doing the peels on your knees and elbows repeatedly every week or a week and a half till you reach your results, dont use retin-A there just keep using the TCA there.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
208 Posts
I tried a Jessner's Peel before which is Lactic, Salicylic, and Resorcinol that really helped, have u tried that? I am going to be trying the 85% Lactic Acid in a week before the charity benefit event, do you think the 85% will have downtime? or will it give me the glowing facial look?
LNL,

I have never tried Jessner's or the combination you describe above. Thus far, I have only received a quick, very thin, light peel from using up to 35% Lactic Acid, therefore, I cannot speak to a concentration greater than 35%. It does brighten and glow within 24-72 hours.

From what I have read, a concentration of 85% is still referred to as a "lunchtime peel" so that alone suggests there is very little down time.

As always, test, test, test.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about the eye area? Its the most delicate and sensitive.

What creams do you apply there to lighten and what do you not apply?

Retin A is such a great thing, but can it be applied to the eyes? And HQ?

I am ordering the peels from BeautyScientific...they come in little bottles. Does anyone know how many applications are in one? I tried looking on their site but didnt find any info on this.

Thank you all so much for this info!!!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
50 to 60 applications (depending on how much of your body but this is for the whole face, decollete, elbows and knees) in a one ounce standard bottle of chemical peel, this goes for every chemical peel not just beauty scientific, most come in one ounce bottle. For the eye area, many people use the 0.5% CREAM version of retin-A and alternate with just a slight touch of HQ 4% every other day at night.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you ever combined peels? Like alternating Glycolic or Lactic or TCA? Does it matter which one you use and when? I have had Salicylic acid peels done on me before and tried Glycolic once. It was nice and worked very well on improving the texture of my skin. Salicylic helped in some serious acne I was having and Glycolic helped in the exfoliation and polishing.

Ive heard that you shouldnt use Retin A when doing peels, is that right?

Ive also ordered the RA and HQ from Alldaychemist and am waiting on that right now. I ordered two tubes of RA and 3 of HQ to start with...was really cheap and Im kind of excited to start on them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi.. any suggestions on where i can get the lactic acid peel from around the UK?
What brand??

Also will it be ok to use on a sensitive to dry skin??

Thankyou

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered Lactic Acid peels from Beautyscientific.com and am waiting for them...will update everyone when I get my stuff.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts