Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can advise me as I am so so low that I dont know where to turn or what to do

My facial skin is awful, rough, course texture and my pores appear stretched out and are very large over my entire face, and I have what appear to be tiny wrinkles and furrows all over my face from the stretched pores.

I am only 32 years old and I feel like a total and utter freak. No one I know has skin like this nor anyone I have ever come across.

I think I have damaged my skin through harsh cleansing/scrubbing over the years as well as using sun beds when I was in my 20's and now I think I have hit my 30's all the damage is becoming visible.

Now I am trying to take mre care of my skin but I fear its far too little too late. My quality of life is zero as I feel so ugly and abnormal.

Is my skin a lost cause or is there any procedure you could recommend to restore my skin to some normality or at least improve the appearance?

I have had a VI peel last year which did nothing and I have just completed 6 weekly sessions or Laser Genesis, I see a tiny improvement from the Genesis but nothing at all compared to the promises made by the dermatologist. Maybe I need to give it more time for the collagen to reproduce? I am considering the Titan laser (although I am hesitant as this is more for sagging skin which I dont have as such) or another 6 sessions or Laser Genesis but I dont have another several hundred pounds to waste if the treatment doesnt yield the results I want.

My skin type is sensitve and oily but also dehydrated in parts.

Please help as I am desperate

Many thanks in advance for any advise
Sadiemay
x

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
It really sounds like you need to exfoliate your skin. There is Retin A, Vit C serum and the microfiber cloth. You have to be gentle and go easy until you see how your skin will react to these things. See my sig line

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there.

Many thanks for your quick replies. I really appreciate it.

I have used exfoliators, both mechanical and also liquid forms such as Paula's Choice BHA and AHA liquids, Skinceuticals renew cream and also Paula's Choice Liquid Gold and some other products from that line.

But all of them have made my face even more dehyrated and as a result every wrinkle and fine line looks even worse. I cant seem to win with my skin. Its almost like its very dry but also like an oil slick at the same time if thats makes sense. I can feel the tightness in my skin but on the surface I am almost constantly using blotting sheets to remove the excess oil.

I gently exfoliate twice a week using St Ives Elements Microdermabrasion Cream but even that drys my skin out badly.

To clarify my daily skin care regime is at the moment:

*Cleanse with Simple Age Resisting Face Wash
*Tone with Simple Pore minimising Toner
*Apply Collagen Moist Gel (cant remember the make, but expensive and recommended by beautician, doesnt seem to do anything positive BTW)
* Apply Avon Reversalist Serum
* Appy Avon Reveralist Cream

None of the above is ideal as my see no benefit in my skin and my skin is so oily as a result but I genuinely dont know what else to try.

Sadiemay
x

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Maybe trying the cloth instead of products to exfoliate would work best for you. Perhaps use it every other day. Try a toner to with glycolic acid for extra oily days. That is what I do then on drier days I use Thayers with aloe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree I love glycolic cleansers. I sometimes use the toners as well if I am extra oily.
Is there a DIY recipe for one such glycolic cleanser, or could you please link me to a supplier?? Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all.

I will take a look at those recommendations and see if they are available in the UK.

Many thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

Best wishes
Sadiemay

·
Registered
1 Posts
it sounds to me like you need to be more gentle with your skin. the tiny wrinkles, rough patches, and stretched pores are tell tale signs of dryness. try not to abuse your skin with harsh cleansers/overtreating it. if you're not prone to break outs -try washing your face just once a day.

i personally like evan healy - all the products are natural and organic! read the ingredients; there's nothing in there that you won't recognize. i've been using their stuff for awhile now and i love it. i use the milk cleanser, toner, serum, then moisturize. (whatever you do always, always use a moisturizer! even if you have oily skin - find one that is oil free.) other brands that i like are dr hauschka and suki.

i used to get facials every month and used department store face care, but my skin is happier now that i let it do it's own thing. you need to work WITH your skin, not against it.

good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gentle cleansing is important - if your skin feels tight after washing, your cleanser is too harsh. You may need a couple of different ones. At night, you need to remove makeup but in the a.m., use something much lighter. DDF makes a glyco cleanser which is gentle but won't take off makeup. Eucerin, Cetaphil, and Paula's Choice have effective cleansers which won't strip your skin. BHA & AHA toners & serums can help too. Gentle, regular exfoliation will help too.

Remember that you scrutinize your skin much more critically than anyone else does. Don't overuse a magnifying mirror either - that can depress anyone!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

I think you absolutely right. My skin is being stripped and hence dry but compensating by producing far too much oil.

I will investigate the products you recommend but from doing a quick search I dont think many of them are available in UK or Europe. I know the Cetaphil is available though so I will try that for sure. And further investigate those recommended to see if I can source here in the UK.

Many thanks again
Sadiemay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your skin sounds very much the same as mine, I know what your going through, ( read my posts on retin a) it has improved open pores, acne, and great for wrinkles, my advice is keep it simple less is more is so true, open pores are so common with oily skin and the dr hauschka balancing oil and retin a are great, sounds odd putting oil on already oily skin but it works, the adage of treating like with like is true. The only thing is you need to be patient it wont happen over night but if you stick to it and keep it simple you will be happy with the results, its tempting to try many different products and I have with bad results because retin does make your skin more susciptible because of the consent exfoliating or peeling effect it is best it use very natural products.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Luckily or skin is not a dead peace of leather, but a living organ with healing capacity, so I would think that there are things you can do to help, you are only 32. Maybe a mild cleanser with a PH of 4.5-5.5 and jojoba oil as a night time moist? Hope things get better for you soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. I am totally and utterly depressed and so self consious of my skin as I honestly have never seen anyone with skin that looks like mine, I must be a freak. I

ts impacting on my life in everyway. To the point I dont want to go out in daylight for fear of people recoiling in the sheer horror of my skin. I would give anything just to look normal. I have lines and wrinkles around my eyes and on my forehead and I can live with those no problem at all, afterall I am not 16 anymore but its the huge stretched pores and the fine lines all over my face that are destroying my confidence in everyway.

It sounds stupid I know but I honestly feel I have no quality of life feeling and looking like this, so whats the point?

Thanks again everyone, your all a lovely helpful people.

Take care
Sadiemay

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Sadiemay you came to the right place. Just use the methods in my sig line and you will see changes in your skin. Takes time however

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Sadiemay, I perfectly understand what you are going through, cos I am also having similar skin problems ! I am an Asian, I migrated to Singapore for 12 years. I used to have good skin, but over the years in Singapore, I anyhow abused my skin, without proper skin care, lots of sun , and with no sun protection... My face has turned into a nightmare. Now I am back to Hong Kong, a place where flawless (poreless or blemish free) or near-flawless complexion is highly deemed as the basic necessity. I managed to appall my old friends who used to know me before I went overseas.
Now my face is lined, highly dehydrated on my forehead. Huge open pores on the sides of my nose and on my nose, as well. My side of the cheeks are plagued constantly by endless supply of pimples..they just keep popping out despite at my decent age of 35! So Sadiemy, you are not alone, definitely.
I were just like you, desperately looking for all sorts of solutions, creams and cosmetic remedies...you name it, I have it. But all fail miserably.. probably because I am overly anxious and impatient. So trust me, you've got to be patient.
A lot of beauticians have advised me that my oiliness and open pores and other issues could be caused by dehydrated skin. So moisturization is the key. But it won't resolve our problems overnight. You can try Laniege products. They are very successful in moisturization.
We've got to love ourselves. Sometimes, we have to learn to accept ourselves before others acccepting us. So what if we have bad skin? I bet some of them will feel sympathetic to our situations. We should not weigh upon ourselves and make ourselves miserable or depressed over things we cannot change (at least for the time-being?) right? Learn to be happy, accept who you are, sleep more, do things you enjoy..and don't bothers if others are ridiculing at you..(they are not worth your attention), be positive.. your skin will react positively in time to come.. trust me,, we all can live through this rough patch soon! So cheers and be strong!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dear Goatlady,

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking to order the microderm cloth in your sig and thankfully the company does ship internationally (I am in the UK). But I just want to check with you...I am so so scared to exfoliate my skin (tried many different methods over the years) because it leaves my skin completely parched of moisture and very tight, therefore maximising my furrowed pores, lines and wrinkles, even after moisturising. Do you find this cloth is gentle on your skin? I can buy micro fibre clothes here in the UK from various companies but I wonder if the particular one in your sig is the best in your opinion?

Also I have ordered some Retin-A and also I would like start using a vit-c serum as you mention also. Please can you recommend me a vit c serum to purchase please?

Also completely changing the topic...do you have goats?! In real life I am known as the mad goat lady by my friends as I used to have 3 goaty guys (Cheeky, QT and Henry) all of whom I rescued from slaughter when they were kids. I had them for over 10 years before they sadly each passed away
Goats rock! I miss them so very much and their very funny comical personalities and little ways, they were like dogs and walked on a lead and followed me everywhere. When my husband and I buy a house with some land in the next few years I will get some more rescue goats for sure.

Dear Fonia,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Its nice to actually find people who understand what I am going through with my skin although I am so sorry that you feel the way I do, its truly debilitating in every sense but I guess unless you suffer from the same condition then its hard to understand. My husband, family and friends say I look fine, normal blah blah but I know they are being kind and anyway they love me no matter what but sadly it doesnt change the fact that I feel so so alone as I have never seen anyone with skin like mine, not even men/women 30 years older than me.

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head that the key is moisturisation but finding the right one for my skin is the tricky part. I also suspect I am being far too harsh on my skin with cleansing then using strong products on it. These past couple of days I have been trying the oil cleansing method and so far *touches wood* I have had no adverse affects (normally my skin will errupt and breakout) my skin seems slightly less dry but only time will tell if this rather bizzare method of cleansing will work. I am going to check out Laniege products, so thanks for recommendation.

Its so hard huh? I try to be happy and love or at least myself for the good person I am inside and I am lucky that I have a adoring husband (he must be blind lol!) and good friends but most of the time I feel repulsed when I look at my skin and that makes me feel isolated and distant from my loved ones, so as you can tell this whole issue impacts my life in everyway and not in a good way. My face I cannot hide, any other part of my body I could but not so my face

Thank you for your kind words. I will try to remember them when I am at my low points.

Best wishes
Celia...

1 - 20 of 290 Posts