Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, I know this is primarily a skin care board, but the foods we eat contribute sooooo much to our health, hair growth and overall well-being. There hasn't been a post in here since 2015, so I'd love to get it on and popping as the foods we eat can actually remedy a lot of our issues without using chemicals and other things we can't pronounce. But yes, sometimes we all just want a bad-*ss recipe for some shrimp and grits.

Over the past few months I played around with becoming a vegan and started growing my own vegetables and sprouts (still do), but after doing the research, I just don't believe it's the healthiest or most practical option for me. But what I have done is made the majority of what I eat fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains, with animal products used sparingly but still in the mix for their potent source of Vitamin D.

Anyhoo, are there any "healthy" foods you wouldn't eat if they weren't so good for you? And what clean and natural foods are regularly on your plate to boost health and energy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great thread topic. As we age, often the first things to go are our skin condition and our range of motion (through arthritis, joint problems, etc.)...Our bodies function on a "use (and maintain) it or lose it" basis. The food and supplements we ingest are a BIG part of how fast or slow you'll lose your skin's luster and elasticity, and the elasticity and free movement of your body as a whole.

So, at the age of 22, I've actually started a beginning contortion regimen. Like as of 2 days ago. Many people recommend you don't start contortion past the age of 30, but I think anyone can improve their range of motion when they're working with a good flexibility coach AND have a good diet.

What you eat is a huge part of whether you'll be successful in retaining overall elasticity. According to The Contortionist's Handbook:

"Something I recommend is to eat fruits, hazelnuts and a cup of tea for breakfast. For lunch eggs and some fruits and to dinner always something cooked like meat or fish, root-crops/- fruits and some fruits. You can use all kinds of spices, but try to avoid salt as much as possible (this will be difficult in the beginning, but after some time you won't want salt to any kind of food, because it will taste awful). Except for that eat berries, sea food and honey. Also try not to eat for 1-2 hours before you exercise. Doing a backbend or a frontbend with a full stomach isn't recommended and can result in you throwing up. Also try not to drink alcohol and absolutely never smoke. If you start to train and drink alcohole (even if not a big amount) or smoke just one cigarette you will feel that your training will feel more difficult and you'll maybe not have the same range of movement the next day."

I think these guidelines can work even if your goal isn't to become more flexible; for example, facilitating weight loss and an improvement in skin and overall health.

I've basically just begun a whole "new me" journey, and the part concerning my body includes weight loss, flexibility, and skin and hair improvement. A big part of that is what I eat.

I'm finding that healthier food can easily become an addicting replacement for fatty, greasy foods. A "superfood smoothie" is a delicious alternative to any candy bar.

I think supplements are important as well; for example, Biotin is known to aid hair growth and skin/nail health.

In conclusion, I just agree that beauty radiates from the inside out, rather than seeping from the outside in.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Anyhoo, are there any "healthy" foods you wouldn't eat if they weren't so good for you? And what clean and natural foods are regularly on your plate to boost health and energy?

1. Almonds
2. Veggies (salad and steamed vegetables)
:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
EDIT::::

Anyhoo, are there any "healthy" foods you wouldn't eat if they weren't so good for you?

Answer- Almonds

And what clean and natural foods are regularly on your plate to boost health and energy?

Answer- Veggies (salad and steamed vegetables)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great thread! I agree that what we eat plays a huge role in our overall skin health and especially with what @Etherielle said about a super food smoothie being a delicious alternative to any candy bar.
I used to be a chocolate addict my diet consisted of candy bars and 3 cokes a day. I decided to change at the beginning of the year drinking more of water, smoothies, green tea and using pure honey as a substitute for sugar. I also incorporated fruits such as avocados,watermelons, papayas etc into my diet and I haven't looked back since. Haven't even had a coke or candy bar this year. My skin improved and has a healthy glow to it.
I'm still having salt issues tho... I love salt so I'm going to try working on reducing my salt intake but it's gonna be tough... If everybody can pay as much attention to what they are eating as they do with what they are 'rubbing" we will all be gorgeous and glowing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts