Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one I am liking. I don't have the Gelmaker nor the d-panthenol yet, so I am just fiddling with it for now:

DIY Skin Care Recipes: l-ascorbic acid +E+Ferulic

It does make a nice slippery serum that isn't tacky or sticky. I had to guess-timate the measurements but the ratios gave me a good idea of how much to use.

It appears to be a 15% Serum. The pH is between 2 and 3 for me and it is a cloudy white solution.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
So are you using two different forms of ascorbic acid? and the HA gel? and the idebendone? Looks interesting - keep us posted!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I left out the dimethyl isosorbide (solvent), the idebenone, the gelmaker and the d-panthenol actually. I used more propylene glycol and less distilled water to hopefully make it more stable. So I *roughly* followed the recipe, but got a decent result anyway.

mireckca, I couldn't figure out how many ml of water to use (25.75 grams are called for) so I just used about 20 ml water and 10 ml of glycol. Does that sound reasonably close?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
No I left out the dimethyl isosorbide (solvent), the idebenone, the gelmaker and the d-panthenol actually. I used more propylene glycol and less distilled water to hopefully make it more stable. So I *roughly* followed the recipe, but got a decent result anyway.

mireckca, I couldn't figure out how many ml of water to use (25.75 grams are called for) so I just used about 20 ml water and 10 ml of glycol. Does that sound reasonably close?
Wow haven't you been a busy bee today in the *******!! I have too, but not making a new skincare recipe-

I made brownies and chocolate chip cookies-does this count?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure! That counts! and it may offset the negative points you accrued from the UPS delivery when your DH finds out!

Mireckca, I googled it and found that 1ml of water weighs 1gram, so 25 ml of water would be right in the above recipe.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Sure! That counts! and it may offset the negative points you accrued from the UPS delivery when your DH finds out!

Mireckca, I googled it and found that 1ml of water weighs 1gram, so 25 ml of water would be right in the above recipe.
Only problem is........the goodies aren't for my DH!! It is the last day of school tomorrow for my 17 year old, he asked if I would make goodies for one of his classes. I am not sure if it is for his class, or for the teacher (she is pretty cute)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I agree. We can generally say that 1 gram = 1 ounce for most things. This is because there are roughly 30 grams in 1 solid ounce and roughly 30 mls in 1 fluid ounce. So in recipes I use 1 teaspoon for 5 grams even though it is 5mls; and so on. In more sensitive formulations one would prefer to use a scale, but for most of what we do, this shortcut has worked fine.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I would much prefer the brownies and chocolate chip cookies!
Me too, that is why I never complain when anyone ask me to bake!! I am the first to raise my hand and say I will, I will.

I eat so much of the cookie batter by the time the cookies are done, I don't want any-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*yeark* you guys are making me hungry for junk again, and I've been so good lately.

I'd rather be mixing up another chemistry experiment than cooking! DH got all excited when he saw me at work in the ******* until he found out it wasn't (a)something to eat; (b) something for him!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by fawnie

*yeark* you guys are making me hungry for junk again, and I've been so good lately.

Not me - I went to the bulk store today. I didn't get the Panda but got some sour gummy drops that some kids there today were buying by the kilo. So I had to get some too.

Quote: Originally Posted by

I'd rather be mixing up another chemistry experiment than cooking! DH got all excited when he saw me at work in the ******* until he found out it wasn't (a)something to eat; (b) something for him!

But don't you find that skills from the ******* are helpful in formulating, and vice versa? That's what makes this all a possibility for so many folks!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that's true mireckca! It just comes easy to those of you who cook I bet!
Except my method of cooking doesn't require any measurements!!! Most of the recipes I use I have made so many times that I can do them without measuring anymore. This "formulating" is a little trickier....

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a question about the Vit c serum. I made my first batch today. I mixed up shot glass one and then got called away for about an hour. It was pretty well dissolved when I returned. I did have problems getting the exact amount of Vit e oil. I thought I could extract it from the capsules using a small syringe and measure it and use it but it wouldn't go into my syringe(too thick I think.) Can I find and use pure vit e oil in the store? Also when I tested the PH, it seemed more like 2 than 3. Any one help me??

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have a question about the Vit c serum. I made my first batch today. I mixed up shot glass one and then got called away for about an hour. It was pretty well dissolved when I returned. I did have problems getting the exact amount of Vit e oil. I thought I could extract it from the capsules using a small syringe and measure it and use it but it wouldn't go into my syringe(too thick I think.) Can I find and use pure vit e oil in the store? Also when I tested the PH, it seemed more like 2 than 3. Any one help me??
Hi dog - when I use capsules I just add the contents of 2 or 3 and don't worry about being too precise. I use the oil now which is purer and so much easier to draw up in a pipette. I ordered mine on-line but it can also be found in a local health food store or even drug store. The pH sounds fine - mine is usually closer to 2 as well; as long as it is below 3.5 it will be absorbed into the skin.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I love that batter too. Did you ever try "chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream" - by Ben and Jerry, and maybe other dairies as well?
You betcha!! Love chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream!! I just watched a program on the travel channel about Ben and Jerrys. If you tour their plant you get all the sample you want of ice cream. They also make an ice cream sundae that is 11 pounds!! Can you imagine? I can-
My son said, lets go mom, you know you and I could put that away!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here is one I am liking. I don't have the Gelmaker nor the d-panthenol yet, so I am just fiddling with it for now:

DIY Skin Care Recipes: l-ascorbic acid +E+Ferulic

It does make a nice slippery serum that isn't tacky or sticky. I had to guess-timate the measurements but the ratios gave me a good idea of how much to use.

It appears to be a 15% Serum. The pH is between 2 and 3 for me and it is a cloudy white solution.
When you buy the kit from bulkactives is everything you need in the kit? So you don't have to order other ingriedients from a few different places?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
When you buy the kit from bulkactives is everything you need in the kit? So you don't have to order other ingriedients from a few different places?
Nope this is what it say's on the site "This kit contains our ultra fine L-ascorbic acid, Ferulic acid, D-Panthenol USP, and pH stable emulsifier Gelmaker Plus."
That's all that comes with the kit. Which has not been available for some time.

I suggest just biting the bullet and buy all the ingredients individually. This is a great looking serum IMO. I'd use butylene glycol instead of propylene glycol. Basically the same ingredient but BG is said to be a little safer. I'd get some vitamin E oil. Get both here:

Butylene Glycol (8 fl oz) - Make your own cosmetics, hair and skin care products - The Personal Formulator

Vitamin E /Dl-Alpha Tocopherol - Make your own cosmetics, hair and skin care products - The Personal Formulator

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's right Peri! Dash, I was just recommending the recipe posted there on Bulkactives, not the kit, which is not in stock. Sorry for the confusion.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts