Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the age of 25 (I'm now 29) I started developing Rosacea. If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't have figured it out, because most doctors suck.

At first I was just getting these dark red marks just beside my nose, under my eyes. they would actually scab up, and over the weeks I would look like I'd aged ten years.

I put two and two together when I realized alchohol and coffee make my skin burn and turn red, all up around my forehead, and upper cheeks.

I've now cut out most booze, coffee, increased my water intake and what not. For a long time I healed up and my face looked good again.

I won't go into all the details of mild rosacea as Im sure you all know.

Lately (last 3 months) I've had these new consistent symptoms. Dry, thick, almost swollen looking, shiny upper cheeks that are very red compared to my eyes and also very porous, with open, clear pores. Its like a thick, but thin darkish scab has been building up on my cheeks, drying right out and making me look saggy, and much older than my usual youthful appearance. It almot looks swollen.

I don't know if this is beause of the dryness, but my igh eye, the one with the line, is always lookig sunken in, with a big circle around it.

My right eye constantly feels tight under the skin and a long line has formed, due to such dryness, running down from my eye to my cheek. It like a transparent scab. I don't think this is natural aging process. It looks like a regular age line, the V shape that forms under the eye...only it's much too early.

I don't know if wrinkle creams and stuff really work.

What do I do!!

Thankkk yooouu!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Billy, those lines and marks are most likely due to inflammation and dryness. Rosacea must be treated with care, so I don't really recommend secondary treatments while you have an episode; unless, of course, a specialized product is recommended by your doctor. Not only is there a chance of adding harmful chemicals to your problem, but also a possibility of interaction between the ingredients you apply and the medications you'll eventually use. The best thing you can do is to keep your skin's hydrated, drinking plenty of water and applying a mild natural cream. I understand you want a quick cure for your problem, but in this case, it's better to be patient.
Kathleen LeRoi

·
Registered
7 Posts
i know some dr's suck but now you have self-diagnosed is it not worth asking your GP what treatments they have available for this? I trust GP's more than what some internet sites say.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Kathleen & Britesmile are right. It would be best to talk with a doctor first. At least that way you can have your insurance pay for the prescription strength creams instead of having to spend money out of pocket trying different products.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't know, you'd be surprised how little some doctors know about specific skin problems or how much they even care. If they see you with rosacea they'll probably just give you a prescription for metrogel and a pat on the back. Doctors have their role in society but they aren't the know-all end-all of skin care. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know, you'd be surprised how little some doctors know about specific skin problems or how much they even care. If they see you with rosacea they'll probably just give you a prescription for metrogel and a pat on the back. Doctors have their role in society but they aren't the know-all end-all of skin care. Just food for thought.
I know far too many people who have had this exact experience. Obviously getting a professional opinion is the best move, but find someone that will help. Some people have had success with Renovage, but check with oyru doctor before you do anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

As you can tell from my name I have very sensitive skin and rosacea. I have been through the normal routine (metrogel, finacea, laser treatments). I've recently tried a renovage cream and been very successful with it.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have a chat with a nutritionist as well. You need to understand the root of the problem. Treating or trying to treat the effect is not going to help long term. I had very good with patients (i am a nutrition student in my final year and see patients in clinics) that have tried to deal with various skin conditions (rosacea, acne, eczema). Local application of various moisturisers/antibiotics, etc will only help short term.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts