Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great Morning from the Piney Woods!!!! I joined the site a few days ago and have been reading a lot on acne and different treatments. I went to a dermatologist back in May regarding bumps and dark spots from the "acne" (clinical diagnoses). The doc prescribed Ziana (clindamycin phosphate 1.2% and tretinoin 0.025%) Gel. Thank God for insurance or else I would not have been able to purchase it ($393.00). I have been using this since 5/15/09 almost a month and honestly I have NOT noticed any dramatic difference in my skin. I am however a very patient person and will give it more time. This gel is applied every night at bedtime and is a little sticky. The first application made my skin/face very tight and by the evenings my skin is OILY. I am only using this Ziana and washing with mild Dove soap (AS PRESCRIBED BY THE DOC). I think I might need to exfoliate or something since this oil is present. Any ideas? And anyone heard of ZIANA? I have not heard anyone mention this Gel Ziana on the site.......

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ziana is a combination of a low dose of tretinoin and an antibiotic. If you are seeing no difference I would suggest you speak to the dermatologist. It may be that your acne is not responding to this particular antibiotic and this lower dose of tretinoin. I would suggest oral tetracycline and topical differin or a stronger tretinoin may do the trick but you need to discuss options with your dermatologist. If you have been using this for a month or more then you need to consult your dermatologist. If not do keep in mind tretinoin will often bring out acne that was hidden so it will continue to look bad before it gets better.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Great Morning from the Piney Woods!!!! I joined the site a few days ago and have been reading a lot on acne and different treatments. I went to a dermatologist back in May regarding bumps and dark spots from the "acne" (clinical diagnoses). The doc prescribed Ziana (clindamycin phosphate 1.2% and tretinoin 0.025%) Gel. Thank God for insurance or else I would not have been able to purchase it ($393.00). I have been using this since 5/15/09 almost a month and honestly I have NOT noticed any dramatic difference in my skin. I am however a very patient person and will give it more time. This gel is applied every night at bedtime and is a little sticky. The first application made my skin/face very tight and by the evenings my skin is OILY. I am only using this Ziana and washing with mild Dove soap (AS PRESCRIBED BY THE DOC). I think I might need to exfoliate or something since this oil is present. Any ideas? And anyone heard of ZIANA? I have not heard anyone mention this Gel Ziana on the site.......
After years of having acne myself I and going to the derm for YEARS, I have to say.........Dove soap is what they recommended using? WOW, and WOW. Never heard of a derm saying that. I would probably recommend more on the lines of Cetaphil cleanser if anything especially when you are using a topical, and you said you have oily skin.

I have never heard of Ziana gel before. I have used several Clindamycin products though through the years. They seem to work well. The only thing I would say is to stick with it. Give the product more time to work. Also, make sure you wear sunscreen. It is hard to find one that won't aggravate the acne but there are some out there.

And yes THANK GOODNESS for insurance, I hear that!! It has saved me a TON with all the junk I have tried.

Best of luck to you-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Silly Dr.....Dove face soap??? Use Cetaphyll. And rember this...not everyone is cured of anything on the first "go-round". Sometimes a product does not work for some people...you have to keep trying. stay in touch with your Dr...and let him know what works and what dosn't...he does have other options for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using ziana for a year. My doc also told me to use dove soap. However, I was prescribed dove soap at night to wash my face before using ziana and a benzoyl peroxide face wash in the morning. She said to wash with Dove soap, since the ziana will slough off the dead cell layer far better than any scrub. She also said that cetaphyll would be good too, if the dove soap wasn't working out. Still, I wouldn't do the an exfoliate scrub too much, maybe once a week (at the most) and only if your skin isn't red or burning.

·
Registered
748 Posts
My doctor recommend Dove Sensitive SOap for me too. I asked him wouldn't it dry out my skin? but he claims it won't plus it's "Ph" balanced. They save give a product three months to see results...

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
i used ziana gel, after the nurse practitioner at my derms office swore buy it, and said she loved it more then any other topical. so she gave me enough samples for like 4 months. well, i didn't really like it. it made my oily skin more oily. its funny, because i love clindamycin alone buy its self, and i also love retin a, but together, it just didn't work for me. it had some ingredient in it, but i can't remember at the moment, that i didn't like, and neither did my skin.

but in the beginning, it will make your skin worse. with the retin a, it will bring all the clogged pores out to surface. i think this topical gel takes a long time to see results. probably 6 months.

i like gymrat, have been an acne sufferer for years! but i never was recommended dove soap either. but i do remember asking about the fragrance free, sensitive soap one, and they did say it was good to use, when i was on accutane for my super dry skin at the time of using it.

but they usually recommend cetaphil or cerave.

but i did find that i needed to exfoliate when on ziana. so i used my clarisonic, with a sensitive brush, and it made my skin softer and smoother. but as for the acne, it didn't clear up the acne on my forehead i had at the time, and it did okay for the rest of the face. but i just didn't love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts